Yesterday it snowed. It is just so weird to see snow here, and twice in one week even! It snowed on Monday night when I was on my way home from class. It didn't stick, but you can see it was starting to stick yesterday. It was a good day to be in the house. Our internet and tv were down most of Wednesday night and until about 1 o'clock yesterday afternoon. I took advantage of the time I was "unplugged" to work on a few things. I've had some things on my to-do list forever, just little things that needed to be fixed or finished, that I never quite seemed to get around to.
First, I did a little organizing of my stash. In my great scanning project, I had emptied out an expandable file folder, so I decided to put my ornament charts in it, so that I have them all in one place. Since I plan to do some ornament stitching this year, I thought it would be a good idea. After that I got started on looking for the fabric I used to back my Watercolor Log Cabin quilt. I had originally made hangers for the back of the quilt for the dowel rod I am using to hang it. Well, the hangers were in too far from the corners, so when hung, the corners drooped. This has bothered me for years, but I've never done anything about it. So, finally I sat down and moved the hangers farther out towards the corners. Problem solved. Well, then the middle sagged. So, I found my fabric and made two little sleeves to go in the middle of the quilt. I hand-sewed them on, and voila! Perfection! No more saggy/droopy quilt. Mark one thing off the list!
Next, I pulled out my Primitive Tree wallhanging. I never even bothered to stain and finish the hanger for this at Christmas because I was so unhappy with the way the piece itself had come out. This was the first thing I sewed on my new machine, and since I was getting used to all the bells and whistles, it came out kinda wonky. So, I pulled the whole thing apart with my handy seam ripper and then got to work putting it back together. Some of my seams were uneven, and my two little tabs at the top had come out uneven, so it hung crooked. I fixed all the seams and the tabs as best I could, and I am much happier with it now. So, then I went to look for my wooden dowel that I had had Eric cut for me, and my little end caps, so that I could go out and stain them. Well, they are nowhere to be found. I've looked everywhere I can think of, but they have disappeared. All I can find is the rest of the dowel rod and end caps that are too small. Most likely because I put them in a "safe place". So, I'll have a new dowel rod cut by my sweet husband, and get some new endcaps. Then this piece can also be crossed off my list!
I feel really good about what I got accomplished. Even though neither thing was really what I should have been working on, they were both things I'd sort of dreaded doing. And now they're finished! Yay!
I didn't stitch on my mermaids on Wednesday, because I really didn't want to work on a big piece. So, I started an ornament instead. I'm stitching Mele Kalikimaka by Monsterbubbles from the 2004 JCS Ornament Issue. I've liked this one since it came out and had actually purchased a kit for it from Village Mountain Stitchery. I don't know if they are doing kits anymore, but I'm glad I got this one. It's Silk n Colors on 32ct over one. I stitched the little stockings with one minor error, but I found a new trick. When I had to frog out some of my red stitches, it left a little fuzz behind, so I took a piece of tape and got rid of the fuzz. I didn't go over any of my stitches, but just over the red fuzz on the fabric. Worked like a charm! I started stitching on my palm trees and I am happy with the one on the right, but not so happy with the variegated thread on the left tree. I will probably pull that one back out. It's a fun little stitch though. Here's what it will look like when finished (let's hope!).
I was motivated enough to stitch on Katrina's RR again last night, so it is coming along. I have a week before it needs to go back out the door, so I'd better get on it! Then I can go back to stitching on Carol's. I think I've already picked out what I want to stitch on hers.
Oh, and Monique asked where I keep my little basket of smalls that I showed you in my last post. I keep it on the corner of my craft table next to my little sheep (with his March blanket). It inspires me to finish things while I'm working at my table. You might notice in the photo of my sewing machine in the last post, you can see my little basket in the background.
That's about all that's going on with me today. Hope you all have a great weekend!
I am grateful for Deb and her generosity and thoughtfulness!