Ever since I went to the quilt show, I’ve been jonesing to sew. Plus, I was so excited to finally get my Christmas quilt top finished, that I wanted to prolong the excitement by working on another WIP. Well, a couple of weeks ago, I decided that the time had come. Last year on my birthday, one of the ways I celebrated was by starting my Tula Pink Kiss Kiss quilt. Of course, by starting, I mean cutting a butt ton (technical term) of fabric strips. It took me a couple more cutting sessions to get everything cut for the quilt top – including fussy cutting the cameos.
When I was finally able to carve out some sewing time for myself, I proceeded to assemble all the pieced blocks. Tula’s instructions call for “random” placement of the fabrics. So, I very carefully and methodically sorted all of my fabric strips into random configurations. It probably would have been easier to throw them on the floor and let Thutmose arrange them for me (although the downside to that plan is teethmarks).
I can’t begin to tell you what a joy it was to finally be sewing again. The bright colors bring a smile to my face and knowing that this quilt was finally starting to take shape was a huge bonus. I got all 36 blocks pieced and pressed and ready for my next sewing date.
The next time I sat down at my sewing machine, I started off by laying out the entire quilt (oh what joy it would be to have a design wall) and arranging the blocks randomly. Happy with my layout, I started to assemble the first row. That’s when I noticed a problem. My pieced blocks were supposed to be 8 1/2 by 8 1/2. Mine were most assuredly not. After much swearing, I resigned myself to having to redo every block. I briefly thought about cutting the other blocks down to match, but since the entire quilt is set on point, that was a whole lot of triangles that I wasn’t willing to do the math to figure out what size they needed to be.
So out came the seam ripper. What I discovered is that my 1/4-inch seam allowance was really more like a 3/8 seam allowance. Every. Single. Time. At least I’m consistent.
I decided that in order to feel like I was at least making some progress, I would rip and resew a block at a time, as I needed them. And my sewing machine now sports a piece of tape so that any dummy can figure out where 1/4 inch is (let’s hope). I briefly recall having a 1/4 foot on my old sewing machine, but I don’t think I have one for this machine. Note to self: buy one.
So, after all the hubbub I finally got down to business. And thankfully I had more help than I knew what to do with. They decided that clearly I was in need of supervision so that no more shenanigans went on in here.
I was able to get almost one block completely assembled, with the correct size blocks. Of course, I’ll be picking black fur off that cream background fabric till I’m blue in the face. I can barely stand how pretty this is though.
I’m hoping for some more sewing time soon, so that I can see more of this beauty come together. And in case you’re wondering, yes I have been stitching too. I hope to have some good progress to share soon!
I am grateful for Parisville fabric and washi tape.