If you’ve been reading my blog for awhile, you probably already know of my love affair with Tula Pink
‘s fabric. When Miss Tula released her Nightshade line a couple of years ago, matching her amazing design talent with an utterly gothic take on Halloween, I was instantly sunk. This line is probably one of my all time favorites of hers and I have some carefully hoarded cuts in my stash. I don’t share my Tula stash lightly, but when my niece’s birthday rolled around, I knew I had to make an exception.
My niece and I are surprisingly like-minded and she loves anything dark and creepy and cool, so I decided that a pillowcase made from some Nightshade would be the perfect thing for her to bring to sleepovers and such.
I made each side different so that I could use two different pieces from the focal Coven print. I pulled some fabric out of my stash for the sashing around the focal prints, and then a different tone on tone for the edging of the pillowcase.
And I absolutely had to use the Spider Blossom fabric for the background. It’s full of little hidden “Tula treasures” like skulls, lightning bolts, moons, and spiderwebs. Plus, it matches the case on my phone, so I thought a little nod to us matching was a good thing.
If you’ve ever heard a twelve-year-old girl squeal with delight, you can imagine the reception this gift got when we celebrated her birthday. It holds a place of honor on her bed, along with her One Direction blanket. lol
And just when I thought I’d have a little break and get back to doing some stitching and quilting for me, I got a call from my niece asking for help with her Halloween costume. You may recall last year
she went as the Mad Hatter? So, this year she wanted to go as Sally from the movie The Nightmare Before Christmas
. I swear this kid and I are sharing brainwaves. So, in case you haven’t seen the movie, here’s Sally…
Being a Tim Burton movie, it’s thoroughly dark and creepy. But, here was my dilemma. When you do a search online, what comes up is a plethora of horridly garish and brightly colored versions of Sally’s dress. Well, no thank you. So, a few weekends ago, my gothic twin came to spend the night and we went over to a resale shop. I started pulling shirts off the racks that fit in with the color scheme I had in my head. I wanted the overall feel to be dingy, muted, while still keeping with the patterned patchwork look. We found a dress that could be used as the base, and then I began cutting up the shirts we got and sewing them on. And here’s what I ended up with. Trust me when I tell you that she looks super adorable (in a very cool gothic way) in the dress.
I sewed all the scraps onto the base dress, and then I went back in and added some big decorative stitches for effect.
Here’s the back. We lucked out to find a dress that only fastened by a button at the top, so I wasn’t having to work around zippers or anything of that nature.
I can’t even begin to tell you how much work went into this dress. Probably 90% of it was done by hand. I did attach some of the larger pieces by machine, but I was trying to work between the lining and the dress itself, which made that a bit difficult.
I’m really please with how it turned out and so is she. I brought it to her yesterday and she immediately went to try it on. She paired it with some black and grey striped knee-high socks, black ankle boots, and grey wool wristwarmers. Love that kid!
But now that I have birthday and Halloween done, I’ll be getting back to my stitching and quilting. I can’t wait to see pics of her on Halloween though.
Thanks for stopping by, and you may have noticed that I’ve changed the template I’m using for the blog. Hopefully this fixes the issue with commenting since I’ve switched it over to a template that isn’t dynamic. Let me know if you’re still having problems though. I absolutely love reading your comments and they are important to me!
I am grateful for matching macabre sensibilities.